Stuffing is another great holiday recipe I enjoy making. And below, I have a savory vegan stuffing recipe you’re going to want to try. I use nothing but the best ingredients, including Califia’s vegan butter, green lentils, and vegetable broth. You’re going to want to prep a little early, but it’s worth the time and early preparation when you taste that savory goodness in your mouth. Hope you enjoy it.
Feel free to comment below if there are any ingredients you like to use in your stuffing recipe.
Savory Vegan Stuffing
- 1 large loaf whole-grain or gluten free bread (cubed & set out to dry overnight)
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 3 Tablespoon Califia vegan butter
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon ole bae seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 batch flax egg (1 Table flaxseed meal + 2 Table water
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- The night before, cube your bread and set it in a large bowl to dry out – you want it to be the texture of day old bread – noticeably dry but not rock hard.
- The day of, if you haven’t already cooked your lentils, do so now by thoroughly rinsing 1 cup lentils in cold water, then adding to a small saucepan with 1 1/2 cups veggie broth or water.
- Cook over medium-high heat until a low boil is achieved, and then lower to a simmer and continue cooking uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a 9×13 pan
- Prepare flax egg and set aside.
- Sauté celery in vegan butter and season with onion powder, ole bae seasoning a bit of salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant- about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To the bowl of bread, pour most of the broth then add the remaining ingredients (sage, cooked veggies, flax egg, and lentils) and mix with a wooden spoon. The key is to make sure it is about the consistency of a meatloaf. If it’s too dry, add more broth and mix again. If it’s gotten too wet, add more bread.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the top layer of foil so the top can brown. Increase heat to 400 degrees F (204 C) and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the top is well browned and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.