“Perfectionism is death. Perfectionism is the death of opportunity of progress, of risk taking. It’s a death of a lot of different things and if you’re aiming toward perfection, you are losing so much in the process.”
– Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin
Meet Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin
Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin is a licensed psychologist and executive coach, with a focus on career advancement, leadership development and job transitions. She is a co-founder and partner of Dynamic Transitions Psychological Consulting, a career and executive coaching consultancy, where she works mostly with high potential managers and executives.
In This Episode
Impostor syndrome can affect anyone, but it doesn’t have to define you. By acknowledging its existence and addressing its root causes, you take away much of its power. In this episode of the Get Loved Up podcast, Koya Webb talks to Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin, one of the foremost experts on Imposter Syndrome, to help us detect its early signs, what causes it, and how we can avoid being stifled by it.
“When families focus on achievement as the only method of validation, you have to do something, achieve something, be something that’s impressive in order to be recognized, and when you fail at that, the love is pulled away as like a punishment, you’re not necessarily valuable unless you keep achieving. Those kinds of dynamics really do exacerbate the achievement component of Imposter Syndrome where we constantly feel we’re in this rat race of achievement ’cause we’re trying to prove we’re worthy.” – Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin
Get Loved Up with Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin
I hope you find an incredible amount of hope, inspiration and value, as I did, in what Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin shares with us in this episode. If so, please tag @drorbeaustin, and I, @koyawebb, on Instagram with a screenshot of the episode and your favorite takeaways. Hearing about what you’ve learned from us, and what your favorite moments were, inspires us to continue making a positive impact in this world.
Until next time, love yourself, love others, and love the world. One day at a time, one breath at a time.
- 02:00 Why Dr. Lisa focuses on Imposter Syndrome specifically
- 06:59 Signs you may be suffering from Imposter Syndrome
- 10:27 Why you need a community around you
- 13:13 You are not your thoughts
- 17:27 Stand in your power while sharing your vulnerability
- 27:18 Always consciously take care of yourself
- 33:48 Keep trying to find the therapy that fits you
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Get a copy of Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin’s book Own Your Greatness
- Check Out Dr. Lisa Orbe-Austin’s Website
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce
- Learn more about Koya’s Yoga Teacher Training Programs
- Join the Get Loved Up Membership