“To come home to myself is to tell myself the truth and then live based on that truth, and that requires me being able to know how I feel. Many of us are disconnected from our own emotions.”
– Dr. Thema Bryant
Meet Dr. Thema Bryant
Dr. Thema Bryant is the president-elect of the American Psychological Association, the leading scientific and professional organization representing psychology with more than 120,000 members (apa.org). She is host of the Homecoming podcast and author of the new book Homecoming: Overcome fear and trauma to reclaim your whole authentic self.
In This Episode
In this episode of the Get Loved Up podcast, Koya talks to Dr. Thema Bryant, President-Elect of the American Psychologist Association. Dr. Thema shares some ways to deal with distress and trauma effectively, particularly with the importance of being connected to your emotions. Dr. Thema believes that mental health awareness should go beyond the confines of psychologist’s clinics and so has spent considerable time and effort building a community through social media.
As a survivor herself, Dr. Thema talks about dealing with sexual assault, and how men and society in general can do better with regards to sexual relations.
“It’s a marathon, not a sprint. We have to pace ourselves for the change we want to see in the world or in your personal life. For it to be sustainable, I cannot empty myself out. I cannot operate on fumes.” – Dr. Thema Bryant
Get Loved Up with Dr. Thema Bryant
I hope you find an incredible amount of hope, inspiration and value, as I did, in what Dr. Thema Bryant shares with us in this episode. If so, please tag @dr.thema, and I, @koyawebb, on Instagram with a screenshot of the episode and your favorite takeaways. Hearing about what you’ve learned from us, and what your favorite moments were, inspires us to continue making a positive impact in this world.
Until next time, love yourself, love others, and love the world. One day at a time, one breath at a time.
- 07:09 Tools to help people ‘come home’ to themselves
- 15:18 Love isn’t usually enough in the day-to-day
- 20:05 The importance of spirituality to our wellness
- 27:37 Building a community and life as an entrepreneur
- 33:29 Sincere curiosity vs being argumentative
- 35:42 Taking breaks is crucial for everyone
- 41:39 ‘Coming home’ from sexual assault
- 46:37 Men need to unlearn a lot of things
- 50:03 Sex always needs to be consensual, no gray areas
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Get a copy of Dr. Thema’s book Homecoming
- Check Out Dr. Thema’s Website
- Listen to Dr. Thema’s Podcast
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce
- Learn more about Koya’s Yoga Teacher Training Programs
- Join the Get Loved Up Membership