“Even when my hair was in a ‘fro, I was twisting it, I was still trying to straighten it, you know, elongate it, just trying to do all this stuff to it. I was like I’m just not gonna do that anymore, and I’m just committing to taking care of my hair. Once I did that, everything changed for me. The way I saw myself, the way I looked in pictures, the way people complimented me, just the way it came to my wash day was a lot easier. Everything changed.”
– Keziah Dhamma
Meet Keziah Dhamma
Keziah Dhamma is the founder of SwirlyCurly, CurlCollege & the author of The SwirlyCurly Method. The EASY Step by Step Guide to Getting The Natural Curls You Love! Since 2014, Keziah has helped over 200,000 curly haired women get beautifully long, moisturized, healthy curls in less time and with less effort.
In This Episode
Hair comes in all shapes and sizes, and we all love changing our hairstyles to fit our mood and vibe. But for Black women it is not only a form of expression, it is identity and culture. In this episode of the Get Loved podcast, Koya talks to Keziah Dhamma, author of the SwirlyCurly Method. Keziah shares her early childhood struggles with her hair, and how she eventually learned to appreciate and take care of her natural curls, the SwirlyCurly way.
“It was really through my own frustration and my own unhappiness with my own hairs that led me into learning about natural curly hair and just all the things about it.” – Keziah Dhamma
Get Loved Up with Keziah Dhamma
I hope you find an incredible amount of hope, inspiration and value, as I did, in what Keziah Dhamma shares with us in this episode. If so, please tag @swirlycurlyhair, and I, @koyawebb, on Instagram with a screenshot of the episode and your favorite takeaways. Hearing about what you’ve learned from us, and what your favorite moments were, inspires us to continue making a positive impact in this world.
Until next time, love yourself, love others, and love the world. One day at a time, one breath at a time.
- 04:24 Keziah’s childhood struggles with her hair
- 12:07 The search for better hair solutions
- 16:38 The 4 different ways to categorize your hair
- 21:51 The SwirlyCurly Method
- 28:03 Curly hair is all about moisture
- 28:51 Do away with these 4 myths to hair care
- 39:21 Tips for taking care of your edges
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Get a copy of Keziah Dhamma’s book The SwirlyCurly Method
- Check Out Keziah Dhamma’s Website
- To get a free copy of Keziah’s book, text “BOOK” to 833 589 1362
- Use the coupon code KOYA15 to get 15% off of products at the SwirlyCurly store
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce
- Learn more about Koya’s Yoga Teacher Training Programs
- Join the Get Loved Up Membership