Becoming a mindful eater consists of consuming the right foods right foods the right way right way, all while being in the moment during your meal.
“Simple habits, like mindful eating, have a profound impact on my overall wellbeing.” -Koya Webb
The benefit of practicing mindful eating is that it allows you to be intentional and careful about what you are putting into your body.
I am going to share six tips that will help you practice mindful eating with some takeaways to begin putting your mindful eating practice, well… into practice.
Six Tips For Practicing Mindful Eating
- Take the time to think about what you’re eating. Discerning between what you are hungry for versus what you are craving and carefully selecting foods with more nutritional value. Practice this by asking yourself thoughtful questions like what is my body hungry for right now? How will eating this particular food make me feel afterwards?
- Analyze how you feel after eating certain foods by making a list of the ones you know will make you feel energized or lethargic.
- It’s beautiful and beneficial to practice gratitude for the food your body is receiving. Take a brief moment to say grace or silently say “thank you” before enjoying your meal. You can also recite a gratitude affirmation. An example can be, “I choose to bless my body with foods that serve me.”
- Cooking your meals can cultivate creativity and mindfulness, a practice that is considered a form of meditation and is fun to do with a loved one. Pick a recipe you’ve never tried before and enjoy the process of preparing it. Tap into the smells, textures, and sounds that accompany it.
- Focus on the nutritional value of your food. It’s not necessarily dieting, but I suggest selecting foods that are rich, fresh, and full of flavor and nutrients. Steer clear from processed foods filled with sugar and empty calories. Refrain from over-indulging and engorging yourself by keeping your plate balanced and light with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, depending on the meal you’re cooking. Sometimes less is more.
- Savor the flavor. Take small bites and chew slowly. Slowly chewing small bites will strengthen your mindful eating muscle, allowing you to pay attention to the aromas and flavors of your food. Simple pleasures we often overlook when we are eating in a hurry.
What are your takeaways from practicing mindful eating? Are there any tips you’ve already put into practice?
Keep consistent in your mindful eating practices by following my YouTube channel. You’ll find plenty of healthy dishes loaded with my favorite vegan foods.