“A thief of life is talking to yourself as if your life is not precious.”
Karine Plantadit, a French native mixed with Caribbean and African blood is an accomplished TONY Award Nominee actress, choreographer, director, and yoga instructor. Plantadit was trained in classical, modern and contemporary institutions such as the Rosella Hightower Dance Center and The Ailey School. Graduating into The Ailey Company she was promoted to soloist and eventually ventured into Broadway, film and television to become an original cast member of productions such as The Lion King, Saturday Night Fever, After Midnight, Movin’ Out, Come Fly Away, Sex And The City, So You Think You Can Dance, Smash, Frida, Chicago, Across the Universe and Mozart In The Jungle.
Plantadit is actively immersed in the dance realm as a permanent judge and teacher at Youth America Grand Prix, a certified yoga instructor, accredited life coach and is also a Fred and Adele Astaire Award Winner for Outstanding Female Dancer. Karine co-created KAMOCHIMETHOD to cultivate the artistic resilience of young artists and support their physical longevity.
As a yogi, her training started with Baptiste Baron and evolved to the MODO technique where she teaches in New York City. In love with yoga, Karine added a Yin training to support all bodies and needs. Today, Karine is the founder of KPVS (Karine Plantadit Virtual Studio) whose mission is to bring the SACRED back in every day life. Through the modalities of conscious breath work, yoga, dance, community, guests master teachers, nutrition, lectures, yoga sutra study, retreats, KPVS is a buzzing platform of evolution and celebration where EVERYONE EVERYBODY EVERY GENDER is welcome.
In this episode, Koya and Karine talk about Karine’s journey from dancing to yoga. Karine shares profound insights about moving through discomfort, acknowledging the bodies wisdom, changing perspective on consistency and the effect of giving yourself compliments. If you’re curious about the power of Yin Yoga, this episode is for you.
- Karine’s Path (1:23)
- Talking to the body (3:35)
- First Yin class (5:55)
- “Yin takes care of what is not visible” (8:28)
- The connection with breath in Yin (9:55)
- Adapting through discomfort (14:44)
- The body has wisdom (17:15)
- Discipline is when you show up when you don’t want to (21:52)
- Consistency does not always mean boring (23:18)
- “Consistency is the new sexy” (26:45)
- Maintaining personal consistency (28:41)
- Give yourself a chance to slow down (36:28)
- Karine’s favorite Yin poses (39:10)
- Changing habits (44:20)
- The power of complimenting yourself (45:33)
Links mentioned in this episode
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce
Koya on YouTube