“Diets that are very rich in plant material and low in saturated fat are unbelievably powerful in delaying, preventing and reversing chronic diseases.”
If you’ve been worried about diabetes, you have it, or you just want to get your healthiest body and peace of mind, this episode is a gold mine. I got to talk with two experts and co-authors of a NYT bestselling book, Cyrus Khambatta and Robby Barbaro, about the power of plant-based food to heal our bodies.
Cyrus Khambatta, PhD earned a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University in 2003, then earned a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry from the University of California at Berkeley in 2012. He is the co-author of many peer-reviewed scientific publications.
He is the co-founder of Mastering Diabetes and Amla Green, and is an internationally recognized nutrition and fitness coach who has been living with type 1 diabetes since 2002. He co-created the Mastering Diabetes Method to reverse insulin resistance in all forms of diabetes, and has helped more than 10,000 people improve their metabolic health using low-fat, plant-based, whole-food nutrition, intermittent fasting, and exercise.
Robby Barbaro, MPH graduated from the University of Florida and is the cofounder of Mastering Diabetes and Amla Green. He worked at Forks Over Knives for six years before turning his attention in 2016 to coaching people with diabetes full time.
Robby was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 12 and has been living this lifestyle since 2006. In that time, while eating pounds of fruit every day, his HbA1c value has never exceeded 6.4%, and his blood glucose has been stable and easy to manage.
In this conversation, we talk about how people get diabetes, how to reverse it, how to shift your mindset to see food as medicine, tips for healthy weight loss, and so much more.
- The importance of a plant-based low fat diet to helping with diabetes and pre-diabetes (3:55)
- What brought Cyrus to his passion for healing diabetes (5:13)
- How plant based low fat diets are integral to preventing diabetes (12:31)
- How Cyrus and Robbie met and started to collaborate (15:13)
- How multiple perspectives and short term evidence based diets create a challenge with growing their business (20:41)
- Why what seems the best way to lose weight isn’t necessarily the healthiest (24:13)
- The three tips to losing weight healthily (26:12)
- How opening your mind to the idea of reversing chronic disease means using your food as medicine (30:31)
- How Mastering Diabetes has been growing (35:41)
- How mangos are important to your health (37:14)
Links mentioned in this episode
- Mastering Diabetes Book
- Mastering Diabetes Podcast
- The 80/10/10 Diet
- Douglas Graham
- Forks Over Knives
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce