“Everybody deserves to be on the mat.”
I am so excited to share this amazing woman on the podcast today. She is a true leader in the wellness space and her actions speak as loud as her words.
Nicole is a social entrepreneur, investor, and public speaker making wellness accessible for everyone. As the founder of both Yoga Foster, a national nonprofit that empowers educators with yoga and mindfulness for the classroom, and Reclamation Ventures, a fund that invests in high-potential, underestimated entrepreneurs making wellness more accessible, she has re-invested over $2.5M from the wellness industry into communities that need it most.
Her work impacts over 100,000 students each year and has increased the health equity of communities across the U.S. She’s a 2017 Forbes 30 Under 30, 2020 Well+Good Changemaker, and the face of Nike’s Spring 2020 Nike Yoga campaign. She was featured on the cover of August / September 2019 issue of Yoga Journal. She speaks regularly on social impact, equity and health at foundations, schools and Fortune 500 companies.
In this conversation, we talk about how important it is to show up for yourself, let yourself be seen, stand for others, and know that you are worthy of wellness.
- How Nicole got started in Yoga (:45)
- How breath factors into Yoga (4:12)
- How showing up for yourself helps you show up for everyone (7:56)
- The importance of standing up for yourself and others as a person of color (10:20)
- How physical identity influences the wellness industry (17:20)
- How yoga foster works (20:43)
- Why Nicole started a fund for minority wellness entrepreneurs (26:52)
- How reaching out to your community can inform your perspective (31:20)
Links mentioned in this episode
- Yoga Foster
- Reclamation Ventures
- Sacred Chill West
- Chrissy Carter
- Becoming – Michelle Obama
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce