“Spirituality and religion don’t have to be at odds with each other. We could have a religious practice that has its dogmas and follows a particular set of tenets and we can be very spiritual and also take from other religions or other spiritual practices to make our lives better.”
– Jovanka Ciares
Meet Jovanka Ciares
Jovanka Ciares is the author of Reclaiming Wellness and several other titles. A certified wellness expert, integrative herbalist, nutrition educator, and coach, she offers lectures and workshops in Spanish and English. Ciares studied nutrition with bestselling author T. Colin Campbell, PhD, at his Center for Nutrition Studies (in partnership with Cornell University) and herbalism / plant medicine with Tieraona Low Dog, MD. A native of Puerto Rico, she lives in Los Angeles.
In This Episode
On this episode of the Get Loved Podcast, Koya talks to Jovanka Ciares about the importance of reconnecting with your ancestors and their ancient wellness practices to reclaim your own wellness. As a trained herbalist and nutrition educator, Jovanka talks about unearthing and using the massive amount of wisdom and traditional wellness techniques that ancient civilizations have passed down to generations, some of which have been forgotten in the present day.
There’s so much to learn about our own bodies and wellness that is not covered by western medicine, and Jovanka’s expertise on the topic will surely help you unlock your hidden potential.
“Every time I get off a phone call with a client and they have clarity about what they’re supposed to do, they have hope about the fact that they can heal, it just reminds me that I’m in the right place.” – Jovanka Ciares
Get Loved Up with Jovanka Ciares
I hope you find an incredible amount of hope, inspiration and value, as I did, in what Jovanka Ciares shares with us in this episode. If so, please tag @jovankaciares, and I, @koyawebb, on Instagram with a screenshot of the episode and your favorite takeaways. Hearing about what you’ve learned from us, and what your favorite moments were, inspires us to continue making a positive impact in this world.
Until next time, love yourself, love others, and love the world. One day at a time, one breath at a time.
- 02:17 A Second Chance At Life Outside Of Western Medicine
- 04:28 A Deep Dive Into Reclaiming Wellness
- 09:24 Practices To Enhance Your Everyday Wellness
- 12:45 The Top Myth About Herbalism
- 15:13 Jovanka’s Wellness Initiatives
- 17:51 The Best Way For People To Rebuild Communities
- 21:40 Spirituality & Religion Can Co-Exist
- 24:51 Jovanka’s Morning & Evening Routines
- 29:35 The Pros & Cons Of Entrepreneurship
- 32:07 The Importance Of Water in Wellness
- 34:32 Stop Using Harsh Soaps
- 38:42 Herbs & Plant-based Diets
- 42:38 Herbal Remedies & Advice For Women
- 47:34 Jovanka’s Favorite Book
- 48:17 What Jovanka’s Ideal World Would Look Like
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Check Out Jovanka’s Book Reclaiming Wellness
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce
- Learn more about Koya’s Yoga Teacher Training Programs
- Join the Get Loved Up Membership