Billions of nerve cells make up our bodies, with about 100 billion in the brain and 13.5 million in the spinal cord making up the central nervous system.
The central nervous system (or CNS) comprises the brain and spinal cord. The responsibilities of the CNS are to take in sensory information from the brain, process the information, and send out signals to the body. According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the central nervous system’s primary role is to produce the appropriate body activity. It receives sensory information from various areas of the nervous system then coordinates this activity to control the body’s responses.
The CNS needs to perform these functions properly because it is responsible for the physical reaction to internal and external stimuli and reinforces the essential body functions, such as; digestion, circulation, and breathing.
The central nervous system’s core purpose is to send signals to the body by carrying the brain and spinal cord messages. Check out these seven simple natural tips that you can try today to help keep your central nervous system healthy.
7 Simple Tips for a Naturally Healthy Central Nervous System
- Exercise every day. Exercise physically and mentally to activate your nervous system, refreshing it by reinforcing nerve receptors to help with brain aging.
- Set up a sleep schedule. Creating a regular sleep schedule will keep your CNS protected from chronic conditions and support memory and learning.
- Get some sun. Going outside and getting some sunlight for at least 10 minutes a day can boost your vitamin D significantly. Clinical studies suggest that vitamin D is necessary to reduce the risk of disease of the CNS, particularly schizophrenia and multiple sclerosis.
- Practice meditating daily. Meditation helps regulate your nervous system by stabilizing your blood pressure, breath, and heart rate.
- Ground yourself. A great way to get grounded in yourself is by walking barefoot. Feeling the soil beneath your feet will soothe your immune system with many physical benefits like reducing inflammation.
- Drink herbal tea. Herbal tea strengthens your immune system, soothes digestion, and stimulates brain function.
- Food as medicine. See and use food as medicine by identifying the proper foods high in proteins and vitamins that improve nerve transmissions.
Which of these seven tips will you try to help keep your central nervous system healthy? Find more natural nutrition and wellness tips here.