“Beautiful things are also ugly at the same time. If you don’t accept the ugliness of it, you can’t experience the beauty of it.”
– Jessamyn Stanley
Meet Jessamyn Stanley
Jessamyn Stanley is an internationally acclaimed voice in wellness, highly sought-after for her insights on 21st-century yoga and intersectional identity. As a successful award-winning yoga instructor and entrepreneur, she is the founder of The Underbelly, a streaming wellness app and community, co-host of the podcast Dear Jessamyn, and co-founder of We Go High, a North Carolina based cannabis justice initiative. She is a regular contributor to SELF magazine, has been featured on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine (UK), and covered in the New York Times, Vogue, Glamour & Sports Illustrated among many other domestic and international media outlets. She is also the author of Yoke: My Yoga of Self-Acceptance and Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear, Get on the Mat, Love your Body.
In This Episode
In this episode of the Get Loved Up Podcast, Koya Webb talks to award-winning yoga instructor, entrepreneur, and podcast host, Jessamyn Stanley. With raw honesty, Jessamyn shares her insights on the essence of yoga, healing, and cultural appropriation while also critiquing the effects of systemic racism and capitalism on our bodies and self-image.
“That word, yoga, it literally just means ‘to bring together’. It doesn’t mean postures, it doesn’t even mean breathwork or meditation. And so in life, we’re always bringing things together. And we’re specifically bringing things that on the surface don’t look like they go together.” – Jessamyn Stanley
Get Loved Up with Jessamyn Stanley
I hope you find an incredible amount of hope, inspiration and value, as I did, in what Jessamyn Stanley shares with us in this episode. If so, please tag @mynameisjessamyn, and I, @koyawebb, on Instagram with a screenshot of the episode and your favorite takeaways. Hearing about what you’ve learned from us, and what your favorite moments were, inspires us to continue making a positive impact in this world.
Until next time, love yourself, love others, and love the world. One day at a time, one breath at a time.
- 02:16 Dealing with Suicidal Thoughts
- 09:12 All Things in Life are Yoga
- 13:35 Yoga Transcends The Trappings of Capitalism
- 14:44 Healing is Non-linear
- 22:49 Yoga Can Heal Both the Body & Mind
- 29:31 Acceptance isn’t Letting Go, It’s Acknowledgment
- 32:26 You Can’t Separate the Ugly from the Beautiful
- 39:01 Yoga & Cultural Appropriation
- 42:44 The Difference Between Appropriation & Appreciation
- 49:43 Why People Are Unhealthy
- 54:15 Capitalism Thrives In Our Insecurities
- 58:56 Strengthening Communities
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Check Out Jessamyn Stanley’s books here
- Order Koya’s book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce
- Learn more about Koya’s Yoga Teacher Training Programs
- Join the Get Loved Up Membership