Birth is a universal experience.
If you’ve ever had questions about your body’s menstrual cycle, anatomy, or how to take care of your reproductive health, this episode is for you. I got to talk with one of the leading experts on all of these topics, an incredible friend and woman, who is normalizing the conversation around all of this.
Erica Chidi Cohen is a doula, educator, author and CEO of LOOM. LOOM provides empowered education from periods to parenting. She is obsessed with helping people cultivate body literacy and the tools to advocate for their reproductive health and wellbeing. She has guided thousands of people in their transition from pregnancy to parenthood.
This topic is so important for women’s health, and I am so grateful that Erica shared her wisdom in this episode with all of us.
- The difference in mortality rates for black babies versus white babies (3:18)
- The importance of becoming body literate for your body (8:20)
- Why sharing our stories about our bodies removes the shame (11:32)
- The causes of higher infertility rates today (13:50)
- What you need to know about birth control (16:45)
- Ways to manage your stress levels (especially if trying to get pregnant) (19:53)
- Erica’s advice to her 14 year old self (23:51)
- What it means to be an empath (24:38)
- How to navigate your sexuality in a relationship (28:27)
- Why marriage is valuable (31:09)
- Things to consider when coming out (32:30)
- How Erica gets loved up (35:42)
Links mentioned in this episode
- Clue app
- The Fifth Vital Sign
- Heavy Flow
- Sweetening the Pill
- The Period Repair Manual
- Order non-toxic seaweed skincare from Osea and get free shipping with code “GETLOVEDUPFREESHIP”
- Order Koya’s new book Let Your Fears Make You Fierce